Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Spinach Strawberry Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette



I can't think of a kind of salad I enjoy more than spinach with strawberries.  
Add in some candied almonds and it's practically dessert.  
Seriously.
And y'all know how I like dessert. 

Ahem.

So when we had some spinach and strawberries on hand last week, I had to make a salad.  My dear friend Christen makes an awesome spinach salad with bacon and strawberries - I wanted to make it but didn't have raspberry vinegar for the dressing, or any spare bacon lying around (what was the matter with me...we should always have bacon!) so I had to search for something else. 

When I saw this strawberry vinaigrette, I knew I had to try it.  
It's simple, goes together quickly, and only has 2 Tablespoons of oil in the whole batch - so it must be low fat....right????
And it adds simply marvelous strawberry flavor to the spinach salad.  I just loved it.  


Spinach Strawberry Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette
(dressing from The Gracious Pantry)

Dressing:
(makes 1 1/3 cups)

1/2 pound fresh strawberries
2 Tbsp. honey (or more to taste if your berries aren't very sweet)
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar (use organic, raw vinegar if possible)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Adjust honey to taste.

Salad:
1/4 cup sliced/slivered almonds
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
8-10 cups fresh spinach
Sliced strawberries

In a small skillet over medium heat, stir almonds and sugar until sugar is dissolved and almonds are toasted. Be careful not to scorch them, stirring often and reducing the heat if necessary.  The sugar takes several minutes to melt.  Pour onto a plate and crumble into pieces once cool.

In a large bowl, toss spinach, sliced strawberries, and candied almonds. Pour dressing over to taste.

1 comment:

  1. I have a Strawberry Spinach Salad I love, it has a light lemon dressing.
    but i am very intrigued by this strawberry dressing. It is beautiful and looks delicious. Can't wait to try it.
    Hope you and your family are having a great summer Rebekah!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...