Friday, March 23, 2012

Homemade Oreos


Yum.
Yum.
Yum!

This cookies were a big hit with my family and with Marissa's Wed. night class at church.  The cookies aren't exactly as crisp as real Oreos, but they're very chocolatey and slightly crunchy.  The creamy frosting is a perfect sweet accent to the cookies. 

I debated whether or not to make some chocolate or even some peanut butter frosting also, both of which I'm sure would be fabulous - but ended up with just vanilla frosting this time. 

That's okay.
There's always next time!


Recipe: from My Kitchen Addiction
(makes approximately 3 dozen sandwich cookies)

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened (I used salted and decreased the salt called for later)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder (or dutch process cocoa powder)
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Filling:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 T. cream or milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted to remove lumps

Begin by preparing the cookies.  Combine the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl, and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.  Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until well incorporated.

Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.  Gradually add the dry mixture to the creamed mixture, beating on the lowest speed.  Continue to mix on the lowest setting until the dry ingredients are just incorporated.

Divide the dough in half, and shape into two discs.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

When the dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 350°.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.  Set aside.
Taking only one portion of dough out of the fridge at a time, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.  Roll the dough to a 1/8 - 1/4-inch thickness.  Use a cookie cutter to cut out cookies and transfer them to the prepared baking sheet.
Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until set.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Once the cookies are cooled, prepare the filling.  Combine the softened butter, cream, vanilla, and salt and beat until combined.  The mixture may be a bit lumpy, but will come together.  Add the powdered sugar gradually, approximately 1/2 cup at a time, until the filling comes together.  It will be slightly stiffer than a cupcake frosting.

Transfer the filling to a piping bag fitted with a large round tip.  Pipe the filling onto half of the cookies and top with the remaining cookies to form cookie sandwiches.



8 comments:

  1. these look so good.
    you've inspired me to make some wheat free oreos - coconut flour cut out cookies with lots of cocoa powder.
    How bout mint flavored frosting? mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I'm sure mint flavored oreos would be fantastic - let me know how they turn out wheat-free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! I'm with Lana! I think I might even try a marshmallow middle. My kids are crazy over the marshmallows I made. They'd love it for sure - as long as I'm careful with the mint. Too much and it can taste like toothpaste! Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. marshmallow middle, Aunt Kaylana, that sounds awesome!!
    I will, Rebekah, whenever i try it. Hopefully sunday. We went past a big huge oreo anniversary display the other day, with light up "100"s all over it, and pictures of balloons. there were birthday cake flavored ones, they looked sooo good. Torture not to get any oreos, we were even buying milk... And Aiden (he's my two year old) saw the '100's and said 'it's a ten! ten there! tens!...i want some of that ten!' ....
    We were all hungry too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. couldn't resist and threw together my idea tonight. cookies turned out pretty well, but the frosting, which i based off yours only with other sweeteners replacing the sugar, tasted way too buttery. Perhaps because i had salted butter? i don't know. At any rate, a marshmallowy filling would probably work better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry the frosting didn't turn out as you hoped. I'm guessing it was the other sweeteners - although I don't have experience with sugar alternatives, I think that powdered sugar is really what makes the frosting so tasty. What sweetener did you use - do you mind me asking?
      I'm sure a marshmallowy filling would be great - if you or Kaylana figure out a good recipe for that, I'd love to hear it!

      Delete
    2. I posted a link to a healthy marshmallow recipe. It's so simple and great. The kids just love it! I made a plate of 'peeps' and they disappeared. Even our friend's picky son said that they tasted better than the store kind. Yippee!

      Delete
  6. These sound real good I will be trying these soon !!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...