Friday, February 24, 2012

Overnight Berry Coffee Cake


I try to make memories for my kids.

I know several of them are very young and likely won't recall a smidgen of what goes on in their lives from right now, but you just never know.  Maybe something we do or that happens will stick in their little minds and stay with them forever.

Hopefully it's not a vision of mommy losing her temper.
 
Or the great vomit-fest a few weeks ago.

Or the fight they had with whomever over whatever.

Knowing that many of the memories I have from childhood involve food (Mom's fresh baked wheat bread, the smell of eggs and bacon wafting from my grandparents' kitchen at 6:00 a.m. when we were spending the night, racing my siblings to get the most homemade ice-cream off the dasher before it melted....etc.etc), I like to create traditions of special foods around holidays and birthdays and such.

I'm hoping that at least some of these foods will trigger fond memories for my children when they're grown, and maybe even become part of their own traditions someday.

And what can I say?  Holidays provide an excuse for me to try out new recipes.

This delicious breakfast/brunch cake was my idea for Valentine's Day.  Partly because Grant adores raspberries, partly because I could make it the night before and just bake it that morning.  Seeing as he leaves for work at 6:30 a.m. and we wanted to enjoy breakfast together as a family, I wanted the morning to be as simple as possible.

We all liked this cake very much.  It's not overly sweet, and with all those nutritious ingredients, you almost feel like you're on the health wagon, and enjoying every bite of it.  Ha.

Recipe: (adapted from Allrecipes)

2 heaping cups white whole wheat flour (or all purpose)
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1 c. sucanat (or white sugar)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/3 cup ground flaxseed
2/3 c. coconut oil, melted
4 egg whites (or 2 whole eggs)
1-1/4 c. sour cream (or buttermilk)
1 cup berries (fresh or frozen - if frozen, do not thaw before using. I used frozen raspberries)
Topping:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 t. ground cinnamon


In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients.  In a separate bowl, combine coconut oil, egg whites, and sour cream.  Add to dry ingredients and mix until well blended.  Fold in berries.  Pour into a greased 13 x 9" pan.  Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter.  Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.  Uncover and bake at 350°F. for 45-50 minutes or until cake tests done.

1 comment:

  1. This looks like our kind of breakfast cake! Glad you did it with raspberries - that's the perfect treat for a Valentine's Day breakfast. I'm sure your kids will have fond memories, just as you do, of good eats from your home. Especially dessert :) Have a blessed weekend, Rebekah!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...